|A creamy pasta salad, made with shell pasta, bell pepper, red onion, black olives, cheddar cheese, tomato and bacon and tossed with a mayo, sour cream, vinegar dressing, seasoned with onion powder, garlic salt.|
Creamy Pasta SaladI love pasta salad. Any kind. It is another one of those dishes that I have no loyalty to though, so I love switching it up, different veggies, different dressing bases. This one is a mayonnaise based pasta salad and my interpretation of the one served at a local favorite BBQ joint.
Check out my takes on Cold Baked Potato Salad and my Fall Off the Bone Oven Baked Spareribs with Sweet & Spicy Homemade Sauce.
Looking for a pasta salad made with no mayonnaise? Click here for my Tri-Color Rotini Pasta Salad with Shrimp & Italian Dressing.
Here's how to make this creamy pasta salad.
Recipe: Creamy Pasta Salad©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Prep time: 15 min |Inactive time: 2 hours | Yield: About 6 to 8 servings
For the Dressing:
- 1 pound of shell shaped or corkscrew pasta
- Olive oil, optional
For the Salad:
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon or Creole mustard
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, chopped
- 1 can of black olives, sliced in half
- 8 ounces of cheddar cheese, shredded
- Couple splashes of milk, optional
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Boil the pasta according to package direction; drain, rinse well and set aside to dry. Toss with a light sprinkling of olive oil to thinly coat the pasta.
Combine the remaining sauce ingredients, add pasta and stir well. Add the bell pepper, red onion, black olives and cheese and mix well. Add a splash of milk if desired, and stir until creamy, adding additional milk as needed. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Just prior to serving, add the chopped tomato, stir and serve with a sprinkle of the crumbled bacon on top.
Requires Adobe Reader - download it free!©Deep South Dish
☛ Are you on Facebook? If you haven't already, come and join the party! We have a lot of fun & there's always room for one more at the table.
Tri-Color Italian Rotini Salad
Shrimp and Macaroni Salad
Everyday Mac and Cheese