|A filling and satisfying cabbage soup made with a chicken or beef stock and tomato base, ground beef, turkey or sausage and served over rice, with flavor that is reminiscent of an unstuffed cabbage roll.|
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll SoupGood ole Cabbage Soup. Filling, satisfying, tasty and, generally speaking, pretty healthy! When I have some cabbage left over in the fridge, I love making a pot of this. Sometimes I use ground beef, sometimes sausage, sometimes ground turkey. For those of us who love cabbage, it's warm and filling and just goodness all around.
Looking for the original diet cabbage soup? Click here for the printable.
Recipe: Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Prep time: 15 min |Cook time: 30 min | Yield: About 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 tablespoon bacon drippings or cooking oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of Creole or Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama), or to taste, optional
- 5 cups unsalted beef or chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, optional
- 1-1/2 cups of cooked white or brown rice
Heat bacon drippings or oil over medium in bottom of a soup pot. Add onion and celery, cooking until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ground beef and cook until no longer pink; drain off excess fat. Add seasonings, stir and cook a minute, then add broth, all tomatoes, tomato sauce and cabbage.
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes, or until cabbage reaches desired tenderness. Stir in butter, if using; taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add about 1/4 cup of rice to each serving bowl, and spoon soup over the top.
Cook's Notes: Substitute ground turkey, raw loose sausage (such as Italian sausage) or breakfast sausage for the ground beef. Add up to 3 cups of mixed frozen, canned or cooked fresh vegetables, if desired.
Unstuffed Pepper Soup Variation: Saute 1-1/2 cups of chopped bell pepper with the onion and celery. Top individual bowls with shredded cheese, if desired.
Requires Adobe Reader - download it free!©Deep South Dish
☛ Are you on Facebook? If you haven't already, come and join the party! We have a lot of fun & there's always room for one more at the table.
Leek and Cabbage Soup with Andouille Sausage
Mixed Bean Soup
Homemade Fresh Tomato Soup
|CaliBowl Non-Spill 28-Ounce Low Profile Bowl with Non-Slip Base, Set of 4, Various Colors|