|A nicely seasoned, creamy potato soup, garnished with parsley, cheese and bacon.|
Creamy Potato SoupThe next dish of our Irish St. Paddy feast ... soup! Or more specifically, potato soup. With potatoes being a major staple food in Ireland, what could be more appropriate for St. Patrick's Day? Creamy, delicious and just plain ole comforting. What better for a rainy day? And of course, serve that with a slice of Irish Soda Bread, and go ahead, dip it right on in that soup!
Here's how to make it.
Recipe: Creamy Potato Soup©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Prep time: 5 min |Cook time: 35 min | Yield: About 4 to 6 servings
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic, or to taste
- 8 cups of chicken stock or broth
- 2 extra large baking potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- Shredded cheese, for garnish, optional
- Dried parsley, for garnish, optional
- Crumbled cooked bacon, for garnish, optional
In a medium sized stockpot, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper and cook until onions are softened. Add the bay leaf and garlic, cooking for another minute or so. Stir in the stock and the potatoes and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium simmer and cook, uncovered for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and using an immersion blender process the soup until the veggies are creamed. Stir in the cream gradually, taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot with a garnish of shredded cheese, parsley and/or some bacon crumbles.
Requires Adobe Reader - download it free!©Deep South Dish
☛ Are you on Facebook? If you haven't already, come and join the party! We have a lot of fun & there's always room for one more at the table.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Cheesy Potato Soup with Bacon
Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes