|A filling and satisfying soup made with a chicken stock and tomato base, loads of veggies and ground turkey or beef, cabbage soup has been a favorite for many years.|
Cabbage SoupGood ole Cabbage Soup. It's the dieters friend isn't it? Filling, satisfying, tasty and low calorie.
I had some cabbage on hand and several pounds of ground turkey meat, so I decided to make a cabbage soup, using turkey instead of the typical beef. It was warm and just wonderfully delicious, low point for those of you on Weight Watchers and good for ya! Can't beat that.
Adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe.
Recipe: Cabbage Soup©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Prep time: 10 min |Cook time: 1 hour 30 min | Yield: About 6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound of ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 of a large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) can original Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups of shredded carrots
- 1 large stalk of celery, chopped
- 2 cups of water
- 2 pinches of kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium head of cabbage, thinly cut or shredded
- 3 cups of mixed vegetables, your choice
- Small palmful of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama), or to taste, optional
Spray a stockpot with non-stick cooking spray over medium high heat, add ground turkey and cook until beginning to brown; add onion and cook until meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for just a bit longer.
To the pot, add the stock, both tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, celery, the 2 cups of water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Add the cabbage, mixed vegetables, parsley, basil and Cajun seasoning; continue cooking another 20 to 30 minutes or until cabbage is at the desired tenderness.
Cook's Notes: Substitute raw loose sausage (such as Italian sausage) or breakfast sausage for the ground turkey.
Requires Adobe Reader - download it free!©Deep South Dish
☛ Are you on Facebook? If you haven't already, come and join the party! We have a lot of fun & there's always room for one more at the table.
Leek and Cabbage Soup with Andouille Sausage
Mixed Bean Soup
Homemade Fresh Tomato Soup
|CaliBowl Non-Spill 28-Ounce Low Profile Bowl with Non-Slip Base, Set of 4, Various Colors|