|A filling and satisfying cabbage soup made with a chicken or beef stock and tomato base, ground beef, turkey or sausage and served over rice, with flavor that is reminiscent of an unstuffed cabbage roll.|
Unstuffed Cabbage Roll SoupGood ole Cabbage Soup. Filling, satisfying, tasty and, generally speaking, pretty healthy! When I have some cabbage left over in the fridge, I love making a pot of this. Sometimes I use ground beef, sometimes sausage, sometimes ground turkey. For those of us who love cabbage, it's warm and filling and just goodness all around.
Recipe: Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Prep time: 15 min |Cook time: 30 min | Yield: About 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 tablespoon bacon drippings or cooking oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of Creole or Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama), or to taste, optional
- 5 cups unsalted beef or chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, optional
- 1-1/2 cups of cooked white or brown rice
Heat bacon drippings or oil over medium in bottom of a soup pot. Add onion and celery, cooking until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ground beef and cook until no longer pink; drain off excess fat. Add seasonings, stir and cook a minute, then add broth, all tomatoes, tomato sauce and cabbage.
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes, or until cabbage reaches desired tenderness. Stir in butter, if using; taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add about 1/4 cup of rice to each serving bowl, and spoon soup over the top.
Cook's Notes: Substitute ground turkey, raw loose sausage (such as Italian sausage) or breakfast sausage for the ground beef. Add up to 3 cups of mixed frozen, canned or cooked fresh vegetables, if desired.
Unstuffed Pepper Soup Variation: Saute 1-1/2 cups of chopped bell pepper with the onion and celery. Top individual bowls with shredded cheese, if desired.
Requires Adobe Reader - download it free!©Deep South Dish
☛ Are you on Facebook? If you haven't already, come and join the party! We have a lot of fun & there's always room for one more at the table.
Leek and Cabbage Soup with Andouille Sausage
Mixed Bean Soup
Homemade Fresh Tomato Soup
|CaliBowl Non-Spill 28-Ounce Low Profile Bowl with Non-Slip Base, Set of 4, Various Colors|