|A creamy, cheesy potato soup that gets a shortcut with cream soups.|
Creamy Cheesy Potato Soup with BaconOkay. So yes, this is a bit of a "cheater" cheesy potato soup, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. And who needs to know but you?
There is one convenience product that I use a goodly bit and honestly, it's pretty much a staple down here in the south. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you could open just about any pantry around town and find any number of varieties of this wonderful canned product.
I am talking of course about Campbell's condensed soups! And, for me, it really does need to be Campbell's because the generics just do not stack up in flavor in my little ole humble opinion. Cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of celery, cheddar cheese, tomato, these are sometimes, but rarely used as out of the can reconstituted soups, but rather they are more often used in cooking as an ingredient to enhance homemade soups, stews, sauces, meats and casseroles instead. This recipe is one of those and it sure is yummy. I hope you like it.
Recipe: Creamy Cheesy Potato Soup with Bacon©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) of unsalted butter
- 1/4 of a medium yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 large green onion bunches, chopped
- 2 large stalks of celery, chopped fine
- 1 can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of Campbell's cheddar cheese soup
- 2-1/2 cups of chicken stock or broth
- 1 can of water
- 4 medium size red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 pinches of kosher salt, or to taste
- 10 turns of the pepper grinder, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of Slap Ya Mama or your favorite Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Melt butter in a stockpot and saute the onion, green onion and celery until soft. Add the cream of chicken and cheddar cheese soups, chicken stock and water and bring to a boil stirring to blend. Add potatoes, reduce heat to a medium simmer and continue cooking uncovered for about 15 minutes. Add the shredded cheese, taste and season with the salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning. Continue to simmer for 15 to 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally; taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with a sprinkling of crumbled bacon.
Requires Adobe Reader - download it free!
©Deep South Dish
☛ Are you on Facebook? If you haven't already, come and join the party! We have a lot of fun & there's always room for one more at the table.
Creamy Potato Soup
Mixed Bean Soup
Southern Vegetable Beef Soup